Saturday 2 January 2010

Second Style of Writing: Descriptive.

My mind felt like a ticking clock, waiting for the clock to strike midnight, was like the anticipation of the curtain opening. As we waited for our cue, 'Catch me if you Can' I held my empty bucket. I looked in the bucket and felt an element of fear and anxiety. For that moment, whilst we waited, my bucket, even though empty felt heavy, as though it was full of water. Inside my body, butterflies flew around in my stomach, creating opposing emotions; fear and excitment, joy and exhaustion, togetherness, but somehow lonely.

The first step on stage was like an explosion. The adrenalin was rushing through my veins, the audience's eyes, felt like a teacher telling me to do my best, work my hardest and put all that I had into this performance.

The spotlight shined in my eyes like the sun on a summer's day. However the spotlight was not warm like the sun, the warmth was in me, I was the sun. I was penetrating the heat, whilst the spotlight was creating the brightness. The audience sat back and enjoyed the play, as if they were sitting back on a sun lounger in Barbados, allowing the sun to entice them into its magic.

My posistion felt robotic. My mechanical movement resembeled that of a robot; lifting my arms up and down repetitively, with the bucket. My hands where sweating as a result of my nervousness. My face differed from my body, it conveyed happiness. My face was full of emotion. Smiling on stage came naturally, as inside I felt overcome with joy and excitement.

The band along with our singing, sounded like an uncontrollable rave. The symbols sounded like waves where crashing, the colloboration of singing was like an up tempo chior and my body felt like ecstacy. I was encountering an outer-body experience, unable to control my emotion. I suddenly became conscious of my breathing and my fast beating heart. I could feel the blood rushing through my veins.

Just as quick as the symbols crashed, as did my time, my presence on stage felt like a split second. The movement off stage was quick, like a fast fox moving from a car's headlights, however inside, the pace felt sluggish. The curtains closed. The last note of the orchestra was played. The final person left the auditoruim and with it, the play set, as the sun and the stage stood still, to await the performance to rise in the morning.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Klara,

    Lovely descriptive piece of your experience as a performer within a show. From reading your piece you can tell you have a natural ability to write in this style. I have seen quite a few peoples descriptive writing style written in this way from the performers point of view, as which I did myself. But your piece had something different and clever, using the 'sun' to describe not only the lights but yourself, your feelings, the audiences, the show thought out your piece. I loved the way how you used the imagery of the sun setting like the closure of the show and also loved the imagery of the audience on sun loungers in Barbados.

    Well done Klara

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey klara,
    great descriptive piece!
    your piece is cut up really nicely giving the reader enough time to pause and think about what you've written inbetween paragraphs.

    love how you've described the events you went through in your own unique way "The band along with our singing, sounded like an uncontrollable rave."

    well done klara look forward to reading more of your work

    sarah c

    ReplyDelete